25 August 2014

Adelmo Ladro

Towards the end of September OGRE, the East Anglian group of Oldhammerers, will be meeting chez Erny for a spot of dungeoneering based on WFB 3rd (character generation) and Warhammer Quest. This makes me happy, for I do love a good spot of playing the murder-hobo. I'm going to run a thief character.

I've had this great little Mark Copplestone sculpt that was released by Grenadier Miniatures in times of yore (and is now carried by Battlezone Miniatures among others) for about a year now, having added him to an order on a whim. His time had come!


I'm only showing the bare-metal version because I carefully put together a dark palette of blacks, greys and browns as a suitable ensemble for a thief and I had a hell of a time photographing it. This is the best I could manage with my phone, with a bit if brightness tweaking from photoshop which makes his face look pretty leprous.

Adelmo Ladro, cutpurse and opportunist

Perhaps this image is better? No manipulation on this one.




For under two hours while watching telly, I'm pretty pleased. I had a go at tying together the colours by adding dark grey to the browns, and brown to the black when shading and (in the lead, by my eyes) it works pretty well. I shall have to go back to using the proper camera, though, and maybe even get one of those foldio things or equivalent to use as a light box.

Any suggestions?
Rab


13 comments:

  1. Looking good to me, defo someone I'd call on when something rascalie needs doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, mate! Are you still going with a wizard?

      Delete
    2. Yup, and defo a Grey Wizard:

      http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Colleges_of_Magic

      College of the Grey Order

      The College of Magic which studies Ulgu, the Lore of Shadows, is the Grey Order of Wizards. Grey Wizards practice the magic of illusion, using spells that manipulate perception and emotion. They also have some control over the weather, and are able to move quickly from place to place. The usual attire of a Grey Wizard is a voluminous grey hooded cloak that they keep drawn around them, concealing themselves from prying eyes. They travel far and wide, gathering knowledge of events from the furthest reaches of the Old World. Some folk whisper that the Grey Wizards operate an arcane spy network with the purpose of infiltrating underground organizations that plot against the Empire, bringing them down before they become powerful enough to cause any real harm. The symbol of the Grey college is the Sword of Judgement, a reminder that seeking knowledge is not enough, for wisdom must be used to correct mistakes and to destroy faults.

      The Grey College itself is a worn and shabby building in Altdorf's poorest and most disreputable district. Even the city watch shun this area, and no honest citizen would ordinarily risk entering such a den of rogues. Though the building appears unremarkable, Grey Wizards come and go by a multitude of secret entrances and a warren of magical tunnels extending beneath the building - where they emerge is a mystery known only to the Order's Wizards.

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I need to get home and get a mini sorted for this! You've pulled off a lovely grizzled look on this figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an elf sounds like a great idea! Grizzled, in an Aragorn-as-Strider sort of way was what I was after.

      Delete
  3. Just the ticket, I love the figure and the PJ. I'm going top have to start collecting these old Grenadier figures. Copplestone is a firm favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Erny! Mark Copplestone produced some fabulous figures, and is still doing so, very characterful and thus perfect for our narrative style games. The prices that folks like Battlezone are charging (aren't they just down the road from you?) means they're easily affordable, too. Then of course there's a whole bunch that Julie Guthrie did for them, but as far as I know they are still in limbo after the ending of Mega Minis.

      Delete
    2. Watch your back, ratty!

      Delete
  4. He looks the business.

    I tend to only paint science fantasy models, but I could get behind painting a RPG character rather easily. That OGRE meet up sounds like a laugh. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul - I'd love to see you tackle a dungeoneering party. Hopefully the report from Erny's bash, when it comes, will further inspire you!

      Delete
  5. Good looking figure. It could be that the lighter background is causing it to look dark. Exposure Value (EV) is one way to compensate for a figure looking dark against the back ground, if you can adjust it to +1 or more it might help. I find that using a dark background tends to help with this as the camera is not trying to tone down the brightness of the background.

    ReplyDelete