20 March 2015

Knights' Quest ready for playtesting



It's here! After months of playing around with formatting, honing the aesthetic and, far more importantly, turning what is now a good couple of years of playtesting into a game that is ready for a wider audience, I'm finally pleased enough with Knights' Quest to release it for a formal playtest.

Since about Christmas I've been tinkering pedantically with phrasing and the like, changing a sentence here, or a word there - lots of time spent for little actual change. What I realised I needed to do was to get it out there and played with by other people, get feedback and make any necessary changes based on that, and get on with illustrating the darn thing.

So, why should you playtest Knights' Quest? What's my "elevator pitch"? Glad you asked...

Knights' Quest is an exciting adventure game for two or more players, set firmly in the world of medieval romances or high medieval fantasy with a strong medieval aesthetic. One player - the Minstrel - runs the adventure, while the other(s) - the Quester(s) - strive to complete the quest which is played out using miniatures, gridded terrain and polydice. Although players with a nostalgia for the adventure boardgames of the 1980s and 90s will find much that resonates with those happy memories, Knights' Quest also has at its core an innovative dice system which models the effects of fatigue and injury, as well as the gaining of experience leading on to character progression between games. Simple enough to be played with your children, challenging enough to be enjoyed by experienced gamers, Knights' Quest really can be for anyone!

If that sounds like it is the game for you (and, frankly, how could it not be?!) then I need your help. I would like to have an initial set of a dozen playtesters who would be willing to:
  • play at least two games of Knights' Quest between now and the 31st May 2015
  • fill in a simple feedback form and send it back to me
  • share any fun you've had playing on your blogs or forums you are members of (linking back to this blog in any posts), but letting me know privately of any problems you've had so I can make the rules clearer and/or better
  • not share the files around

What will I provide to allow you to do this? An email with the following attachments:
  • the rules (!), both in the look I intend for them, and with clear background so they are easily and cheaply printed if you prefer rules on paper
  • a set of plain character, item and spell cards for printing if desired
  • a sample quest
  • a feedback sheet file
So, who's in? Let me know in the comments below or on this thread on the Lead Adventure Forum. I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,
Rab

16 comments:

  1. I'm in. My children (11 and 6) have enjoyed playing a very simple game of our own invention known as "The Castle Game", which involves laying out my 80s dungeon floor plans and then each taking round a warband consisting of a hero and about four henchman. Each room contains random monsters and treasure. The object is to collect a good haul and then escape with your lives. This sounds like a similar idea but a step up in sophistication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superb! Drop me a message at stephenmichaeldobson+kq AT gmail DOT com

      Delete
  2. As luck would have it I've just finished the Analogue Hobbies Painting challenge and we are about to have a week long school holiday. We were just talking about having a game of KQ the other day. So perfect timing! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Drop me your email and I'll get the files out to you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously I'm in! gsshaw AT outlook DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good man! Emails to follow tomorrow :)

      Delete
  5. I'm in !
    God only knows when I'll find the opportunity but I will !
    You already have my address I think but if needs be, I'l give it to you again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvellous! I have your email and have added you to the list.

      Delete
  6. Would love to run a few rounds with my lads. I'll email you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got your email - I hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

      Delete
  7. I'd be willing to have another go at this wonderfully inspiring game Rab. In the very early stages I play tested Goblin Quest, as it was called then, and thought it was pretty good already. Looking forward to having a go now.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would really like to be involved in the play test is solo play is ok with you.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - email received and soon to be replied to!

      Delete
  9. I'm interested, lots of dungeon tiles made up recently and painting up some red box game minis.

    Email sent.

    ReplyDelete