28 January 2017

Chaos kniggits


Keen eyes may notice that the header for this, and future, Chaos Army 2017 project posts is a quick cut'n'shunt job on the way that Dale Hurst's eye-catching warband was presented in White Dwarf 135.


Readers of previous posts, particularly from when I chopped about some bits to make a demon, will know how inspirational that article was for me, so it seemed only right to keep a touch of that as I expand the warband into a whole 3,000 point army over the course of this year.

So far I have units/individual characters painted to a total of 907 points. There are also several figures painted for other units, but I'll only count them when the whole unit is done, including bases, shields, and banners. I'm going to be strict!

The next unit up for sharing (although you'll soon see that they are bare metal/plastic/putty) are the most expensive, points-wise, and therefore I wanted to do something special with them - the knights. I have them as "chaos warriors" mounted on "chaos steeds" so my bitzbox was brought into play. In the end I left the riders as they came, but I didn't want a full unit mounted on normal horses, it didn't seem fitting.

Duke Elvon Skullsplitter's Dark Saints (550pts)

The Duke - classic two-part Perry sculpt mounted on a Grenadier dragon-lizard, minus its wings.
 

This knight might be Marauder, also on a Grenadier now-flightless-dragon-lizard



The most normal of the bunch; knight (citadel Perry, I think) on a Battlemaster board game barded horse with a bit of surgery to attach an 80s chaos steed head.


Another de-winged monster as mount. This one an early griffon with yet another Perry knight astride



And finally the fifth member of the bunch who has been enhanced with bits from a sprue of chaos bits I had, possibly the late 90s early 2000s chaos warrior box that I think I got for bloodbowl conversions originally when it was still for general sale.



So, what does this lot look like on the charge? Like this:


You'll notice they don't fit side-by-side very well (and that's before I add shields), but a slightly over-deep movement tray will sort that. I think I'll fill in the tray so that there are specific slots for them to go in, but that's not a priority!

Comments and criticism welcome,
Rab

16 comments:

  1. They look cool Rab! Your correct too, that knight is an old Marauder mini. I've got him too, but has yet to be painted after all these years :(

    I'm not sure about the staggered basing though. I think it would look better if you just spread them all out a little so that they could all be at the same frontage level. But that's just my take on it. If your happy with how they look as is then go for it man :)

    They are rather tasty looking mounts, much kudos to you for your creative choices in selecting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still not sure how I'll rank them, but the frontage issue is bothering me...

      Delete
  2. Nice looking unit. I love the range of mounts. They make a proper mutated charge, just what the lord of change called for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Weird and varied, without being schlocky, chaos is the plan. Thanks, Colin.

      Delete
  3. You swine! Now my knights will need to be tarted up. How dare you be so talented and make such cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't worry - despite my best intentions, it'll probably take me ten years to get them finished!

      Thanks, though :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic bit of converting! Looking forward to seeing these painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those grenadier mounts are perfect, certainly my favourite of the bunch. Looking forward to seeing them painted and thoughtfully ranked up on a movement tray...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stuart, they're my favourites too. If there were more than two sculpts, I'd have tracked them down for an all-lizard unit.

      Delete
  6. Quite menacing, the steeds are quite nice.
    I have bits box envy colour me orchide shade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's my bits box empty, near enough - I've been picking up odds'n'sods for just such an occasion.

      Delete
  7. Looks awesome! And thanks for the ideas, I've got a site Knight and I've been trying to figure out what to put him on 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew, do share what you come up with.

      Delete
  8. How chaotic! The mounts look like they are earning that stat bump over "horse, war"

    I think the plastic bitz on the last mount are from the plastic spawn box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Lgp, that was the plan! And I think you're right on the bits.

      Delete