30 April 2014

Sanctioning a Privateer

Having come up with a framework to create a random Sanctioned Privateer and his Crew, I had to give it a go. So, after a couple of tweaks (I've updated the image in the previous post as well) and grasping a pile of d6s and d100s, I set to work...



The updated table - included for completeness

First up, the Privateer himself. I get d4xd6 advance points to randomly boost his stats, as per the RT rulebook. I got 3d6 = 11 points. Now, to allocate these, I roll 11d20 to see which stat they boost. Allocation rolls  = 1,4,4,6,9,11,13,15,16,18,18 = WS+1, BS+3, W+1, I+2, A+1, Ld+1, Int+2, to give:

M
WS
BS
S
T
W
I
A
Ld
Int
Cl
Wp
4
6
8
4
4
3
7
3
9
10
8
8

Unfortunately, as a human non-psyker, these exceed the maximum values for some characteristics, so I reallocated the overpowered stats to get:

M
WS
BS
S
T
W
I
A
Ld
Int
Cl
Wp
4
6
6
4
4
3
7
3
9
9
8
9

Yes, this leaves me two advance points short, but I was getting bored with rerolling and I figured he was enough of a badass already!

Is this epic character my Privateer's boss?
Equipment next.

Chart 1 – Pistols.  d100=73 -> Neuro Disruptor
Chart 3 – Close combat. d100=79 -> Power sword.
Chart 4 – armour. d100=89 -> Powered armour
Chart 5 – armour energy field. d100=01 -> Conversion field 
He also has d6=5 extra points to spend. I select a Plasma Pistol (4) leaving 1 in the bank.

Now, who does this dangerous sounding fellow have as his crew? Three rolls on the Crew table gives me:

d100       outcome
13           company troopers (2d6 = 6 of them) Subsequent d6 = 4, so led by a sergeant
47           beastmen (2d6 = 9 of them) Subsequent d6 = 4, so led by a sergeant (d100 = 30 so not a psychic sergeant)

88           psyker (d6 = 1 – minor hero)

In total this gives me 16 crew members. This feels like a healthy amount without being overpowered having read some battle reports, particularly as they are basically redshirts. What do these redshirts bring to the negotiating table? I get 16d6 equipment points which gives a fairly paltry 46 (an average roll of just under 3), so I allocate it as follows.

Troopers
(Free Flak armour and knife)
6 x lasguns (Guards have lasguns - unalterable Fact of White Dwarf fiction; I had to do it!)
1 x chainsword for the sergeant     
= 8pts

Two very similar faces, almost twins. Artistic laziness, or are they meant to be the Perry brothers?
Beastmen
(Free Flak armour and knife)
7 x autoguns (it's what the models I have look like they're carrying)
2 x flamers
1 x chainsword for the sergeant    
= 20pts

Psyker
(Free knife - woot!)
Conversion field
Bolt pistol
Power sword
= 11pts

This extravagant spending leaves me another 7 credits in the bank. I may yet get a couple of communicators or grenades to hand out, but this gives everyone something useful to bring to the party.

What I don't seem to be able to work out is how to determine the Psychic Mastery level of a Minor Hero psyker from the rulebook; any help on that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rab

9 comments:

  1. Looks really interesting and I love the premise. Where are the rules for buying equipment located?

    Having read through the write up, my comments would be:
    If you are finding that you are exceeding the maximum allowed statistics, maybe it would be better to start from a lower baseline, a mere champion profile maybe?
    It would be nice to have a part of the crew chart for really weird stuff.An ork, or a pet ambull maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      Thanks! The equipment buying rules are in The Lost and the Damned, p296. If you don't have a copy and wanted to, erm, preview the book, there are electronic copies floating around the 'net.
      As for stats, a lower starting base is something I had considered - it would allow for greater variety between privateers. I also rolled pretty high for how many points he got and then they ended up stacking on just a couple of stats. If it proves a problem, I'll change it.
      I love the idea of a pet ambull! I was worried about getting just the right level of crazy into the tables and may have played it safe. The joy of RT is you can just make it up as you go along :)

      Delete
    2. I actually have a copy of LatD, I just haven't had a chance to sit down and read through it properly yet. I'll take a look at the relevant section soon.

      I don't think you can go too crazy, after all the Realms of Chaos follower table lets you have a dragon!

      Delete
    3. Good point, well made! I think I'll keep the Crew table as it stands, but pets/robots/weirder aliens could easily fit into the equivalent of the Rewards table. A pet hunting "dog"? A devoted kroot bodyguard (a sort of Tonto to the Lone Ranger - very un-pc!)?

      Delete
  2. If you are after some kind of pet for your Privateer, might I suggest the rather spiffing Klegg hounds that mongoose/warlord have just released. I might get a pack myself! http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/mobsters/products/mercenaries-klegg-hounds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are tasty, aren't they! Yeah, they'd work just fine as a reward - perhaps as a deal sweetener from a planetary official to the Privateer... This is going to be fun!

      Delete
  3. Dice, pen and paper will be in use at my house this weekend!

    Really intrigued by this idea, just can't decide what type of group to put together: Inquisitor, Sensei, Rogue Trader, Pirates (after making up some rules), Imperial Navy crew (again more rules needed).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see I'm sucking you both into the future! Get into that attic!

    ReplyDelete