29 May 2014

Stuff from the interwebz #2 - Sergey Yuhinov

Sergey Yuhinov? Who he? Yes, he's completely new to me as well, but it turns out he's responsible for some truly extraordinary illustrations for The Lord of the Rings - and if you don't know what that is, this probably isn't the blog for you!

I was entranced by the Orthodox-style illuminations, reminiscent of both medieval manuscripts and proper devotional icon painting. Here are just four of his illustrations of well known sections from the books as a taster:

The Ents march on Isengard



"Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him..."

The Council of Elrond

Weathertop

I found the greatest number of his illustrations collected on this tumblr page; I really recommend you take ten minutes and have a good look through all three pages.

Enjoy!
Rab

1 comment: