30 October 2015

Mapping Corcelle

This drawing maps lark, made to look so effortless by the likes of Dyson, Matt Jackson and Michael Wenham, turns out to be both tricky and time consuming! Who'd have thought?

Anyway, here's my progress on mapping Corcelle so far, heavily influenced by the styles of the three gentlemen listed above. Town walls, the main temple, guild houses, fountains, a wizarding college, marketplaces, river chains and a pair of bridges so far...



No corrections made yet, and I need to find a more satisfactory way of getting the scanned image into a pure black and white, line-art style.

Comments, criticisms and advice very gratefully received.
Rab

7 comments:

  1. I like it quite a bi, it replicates a sort of early 1700s look.

    As for the pencil lines, I think traditionally they are done in blue, and then you just remove that layer in photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      The pencil lines aren't a problem (I have a good eraser), it's that in order to remove the non-whiteness of the paper I end up with a faded rather than solid black. I'll work it out!

      Delete
    2. But using an RGB colour for pencil lines is something I might come back to - good suggestion.

      Delete
  2. For clean scans what I do is scan at 600dpi, then increase brightness and contrast (+25 and +45 are usually a good start).

    Then I use the Stylize > Diffuse > Anisotropic filter on Photoshop and then reduce the resolution to 300dpi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dyson, that's really helpful :)

      Delete
  3. Looking great. There's an old school charm to it. To adjust whiteness, use the Levels or the Curves function in Photoshop. If you mail it to me, I'll do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :) And a generous offer. If I can't get it sussed myself, be certain I'll be taking you up on that!

      Delete