28 August 2015

Gaming table - part 4

I'm delighted to announce that Stage One of the great hobby-room creation is complete! I have a table on which I can play, can store terrain and boxed games, can wheel off to one side when not in use, and have reorganised my painting desk and other storage. I've even played games on it!

Stage Two will be putting some better ceiling lighting in place (the photos below are all "assisted" by my phone's flash because it is a little gloomy in the cellar - it nearly blinded antipixi when he was checking the range on those red ruler thingys in our Inquisimunda game!), as well as constructing the terrain boards themselves and getting a couple of stools so the two mini-Rabs can reach the table top.

For now, here are some staged pictures for your delight and delectation...

22 August 2015

Inquisimunda - Let's get lootin'

Antipixi came over to christen my gaming table this morning with my first game of Inquisimunda. I had a single game of Necromunda under my belt from a few months back over at Erny's with the rest of the OGREs, but still didn't really have a feel for the rules, especially their unique take on close combat. Apparently it is the same as that used in 2nd Ed. 40K, but I never played that. As a result, he helped me turn the crew I wanted to run into something game-legal over a coffee before we got started.

Quick, to The Table!

21 August 2015

Gaming table - part 3

Wow, there turned out to be a lot of junk getting in the way of reorganising the cellar around my new table! I've treated and painted walls (well the ones behind where my stuff will go, the rest will have to wait for a sort of rolling treatment), cut my painting desk in half so it would fit in an alcove, moved bookcases (unloading and reloading two small bookcases revealed several books I thought I'd lost), and even mounted the first of three swords that will go on the walls.

Ok, I know I still need to clear out the spiders' webs hole behind the cellar window.

15 August 2015

Gaming table - part 2

In my last post I set out what I wanted from a gaming table, and why. Now I need plans and timber!

I had a good look around the internet at interesting set-ups (some of the prettier pictures were in that last post), trying to decide on a suitable design that

  1. Would be sturdy
  2. Would allow me to change the layout
  3. I could manage myself (on a Warhammer stat line my DIY Skill would be 3)
  4. Would not be bigger than agreed (i.e. 100x150cm)
  5. Would include book shelves for not-gaming books along one side (another planning condition!)
  6. I could build with the tools I already had (hand saw, electric drill, screwdriver)

14 August 2015

Gaming table - part 1

Hello readers,

I'm back from my (very enjoyable) family holidays, caught up on the excellent post-BOYL reports and pictures, overcome the jealousy of not being able to go this year, and ready to restart the geeking!

One of the things that leapt out from the game pictures, aside from all that lovely painted lead, was the difference to the aesthetic (and thereby a large part of my enjoyment of gaming in general) that a good set of terrain makes. Here are a few examples from various blogs that I hope the owners won't mind me sharing:

One of the Foundry's more dramatically-landscaped tables 

4 August 2015

The costs of gaming - July 2015

Jan 2015  -  £00.00 (0/0/0)

Feb 2015  -  £24.99 (5/5/0)
Mar 2015  -  £46.11 (20/7/-13)
Apr 2015  -  £06.40 (2/12/10)
May 2015 -  £07.07 (-25/2/27)
Jun 2015  -  £34.00 (25/0/-25)

July 2015

  • BOUGHT - 
  • TRADED - two snotlings/runts sent on to better things!
  • SOLD - 
  • TOTAL for July - £00.00   (-2/3/5)

Total net. expenditure for 2015 to date         = £118.57
Remaining acceptable expenditure for 2015 = £32.43

In something similar to the LAF lead-hoarders vow, I'm also recording the number of figures purchased versus the number painted, which is what the numbers in brackets after each month's total represents - (net unpainted acquired/painted/net total for the month). So, here you go:

Net. unpainted figures acquired in 2015   = 25
Of which, painted to date        = 0
Total no. figures painted         = 29

Net. hoarding status = 4

So, that's good... but only because I couldn't get to BOYL!