6 February 2014

A bit of Bob

Off work with a twenty-four hour gift from Papa Nurgle, I've taken a few moments to put the finishing touches to an unusual Bob Olley beastman. No, not the one with willy-horns (what had Bob been smoking that day?), but one with a bit of a surf'n'turf approach - a mix of predator (claws) and prey (sheep face, a hoof) - that I've not seen on any other figure from the period. [Yes, chaps, that is a challenge]

After an FB chat in the Oldhammer group about painting yellow which I blithely contributed to, it also seemed a good opportunity to put my brushes where my mouth was (or something), and act as a bit of an homage to that archetypal Tzeentch warband by Dale Hurst shown in WD135 with its vibrant yellows:

Fabulous - and I might just nick that shield design if I can't get anywhere with Orlygg's article...

Not anywhere near the same standard, but enjoying the ride as I try, here's the start of my "yellow" phase:




Hoofclaw - look at that typical Bob Olley face!

And now there are four - Bruchvir's warband is growing, ready to serve Tzeentch with sword and spell. Just one more beast to paint to get my starting crew finished as rolled up. I hope I'll also get the Lord of Change that is bound in Bruchvir's sword painted by our planned gaming day (9 days to go...).

Ready, Chris?

I hope that if you, dear reader, are also feeling grotty, then you are still able to wield a brush,

Rab








10 comments:

  1. Nice execution on a classic Olley! His pestigors are my personal favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, axiom, I was rather pleased with the yellow. Olley pestigors are great, but wouldn't be very welcome in this little band of mayhem-makers!

      Delete
  2. Make it to the oldhammer day this year and you can see that warband for yourself (assuming Mr Ansell brings them again.)

    Nice looking warband I'll issue you a challenge when your finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! That adds another reason to get a weekend pass for the summer...

      Thanks - challenge accepted in advance :)

      Delete
  3. Looking good!

    With a little over a week to go, I have actually put some paint to my champion and hope to finish him tomorrow evening. I may even manage to get my pestigors painted in time too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, mate, now get those brushes out, chop-chop!

      I've just got the shield and pouch to do on the final beastman, the daemon is prepped and gap-filled and a fifth beastman is converted from a were-boar (sword added, hand resculpted) ready for priming....

      Delete
    2. Just sitting down to do an hour on my Champ now. It'll be a push to get them all finished for next weekend, but I'll give it a go.

      Delete
    3. Excellent! Just need to base the final beastman - a cheeky spot of daubing in front of the telly saw him finished this evening - now for that daemon...

      Delete
  4. They look great! The colors really tie them together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dean - not to your standard, but I am quite happy with them. Speaking of unifying colours, I think I'll repaint the cloth around the bugbear's arm to be yellow. The shield I need to do for the boar will also have quite a bit of yellow. Dale Hurst's warband has re-inspired me!

      Delete